Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First FAC Application

Default First FAC Application

Hi Guys

I was going through the FAC application and was wondering what I could put as the amount of ammo applied for, I have applied to join the Midlands Shooting Center for target shooting but don't want to apply for just "enough" ammo, so I was wondering what would the max amount of ammo I could apply for on the application for the .223 .308/303 rifle calibers as these are the types of calibers I would be target shooting with,

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Hi Guys

I was going through the FAC application and was wondering what I could put as the amount of ammo applied for, I have applied to join the Midlands Shooting Center for target shooting but don't want to apply for just "enough" ammo, so I was wondering what would the max amount of ammo I could apply for on the application for the .223 .308/303 rifle calibers as these are the types of calibers I would be target shooting with,

Thanks.
    To keep it simple I would put 100 down, after a while you can have it amended. If you put 500 down the Gardai will reduce it to 100 anyway!
    if we outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns

'wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep' Anon

Chief Warrant Officer

100 seems low Hartman especially if he plans on target shooting but I haven't held a liscense in the republic in well over a decade, I am glad I'm not anymore if that is the way it is now.
    I remember back when I got 200 based on an arguement of buying batches of 200 to allow for consistency but I suppose it also depends on your local super.
    In the U.K. I have 350 for each of my centerfires , 750 for my rim fire and unlimited shotgun ammo
    This is my rifle, there are many like it but THIS one is mine

Thanks for the replies guys,

I was actually thinking of anything from 500 to 1000 rounds for target shooting at the range would be more reasonable, as a weekend shooting targets at the range could use +-100+ rounds for example

Thanks

Chief Warrant Officer

I think Hartman has a better idea on the kind of allowance that is likely to be granted and to be honest 500-1000 per centerfire is even very unlikely to be granted here in the U.K especially on a first application where by the sounds of it it is a lot more likely to be granted.
    Applying for to large an amount risks annoying them and resulting in an award a lot lower so you might be better advised to give an approx location so someone on here that might be in the same area could advise from experience or if you are a member at midlands maybe talk to some of the guys down there as to what is likely to be granted
    Last edited by Roncon1; 30-12-2016 at 16:30.
    This is my rifle, there are many like it but THIS one is mine

Private First Class

Just recently licenced a rifle. My local dealer put down 500 rounds as i was using her for target shooting in harbour house. Came back with 100 on the licence.

Thanks for the replies guys

Ok so basically I should keep it simple and put 100 rounds for the rifle, so for example if I shoot about half that at the range, could I purchase more or how does the 100 rounds limit work, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys

Ok so basically I should keep it simple and put 100 rounds for the rifle, so for example if I shoot about half that at the range, could I purchase more or how does the 100 rounds limit work, thanks
    Just to add my two cents. I'm shooting for a long time and have no problem with licensing but I have recently been told by the local firearms officer that there have been directives given to reduce the ammunition allowance for all firearms. While this is totally unacceptable, it's equally impossible to prove that this directive has been given.

You have good reason to have the ammunition and you should have no problem with getting it, in principle.

I'd stick down 200 and put a note in to explain that you are competing and want to buy in bricks of 200 for batch consistency. Let them reduce it if they want.

Also, with regards wanting to buy more ammunition at the range once you have your allowance used, you can have up to, your allowance at any given time. But just note, that the brass from your used ammunition, also counts as part of this allowance. As ridiculous as this sounds, dump it and keep yourself at your allowance by at least having live ammunition.

Best of luck with the application too.
    Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roncon1 View Post
    100 seems low Hartman especially if he plans on target shooting but I haven't held a liscense in the republic in well over a decade, I am glad I'm not anymore if that is the way it is now.
    I remember back when I got 200 based on an arguement of buying batches of 200 to allow for consistency but I suppose it also depends on your local super.
    In the U.K. I have 350 for each of my centerfires , 750 for my rim fire and unlimited shotgun ammo
    It is low but the line of thinking from the Gardai is that this is a new application and this guy has no track record with firearms so once he has shown solid evidence that he is using x amount of ammo on a weekly basis then they will default to 'lets err on the side of caution here' if it was rimfire then yeah stick down at least 300

I have 300 on one of my centrefire licences and that wasn't given straight away. I had all the examples in the world to show I was going abroad etc and needed x round count to take with me so it was given.

I am not taking away from the OP but anyone can rock up to the station and say look I'm planning on shooting Leinster League I need 1000 cartridges on the licence. Come back in a few weeks and go look heres my name on the list of x y z comps in the last 5 weeks. Its going to cause me a problem with only x amount of cartridges on the licence. I really would like to stay within the confines of the law can you please increase it. I doubt there are many who wouldn't give you the increase based on the info you have provided. It's all about accountability.

While this sounds extreme, if something were to happen and someone was granted 1000 rounds from a new app... who is going to be held accountable... the dude that signed off the application. And thats why so many desk Gardai don't even want to handle and application incase they make a boo boo. And who would blame them, they receive no training on the subject...
    if we outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns

'wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep' Anon

I'm with Hartman on this. Go for 100 and reapply once you can prove a genuine need.