Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo shortage

Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Hovannes View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with Irish rabbits, but the ones over here found .22lr CCI Mini-mags quite deadly.

Of course we aren't allowed lead ammo for hunting in CA now so I couldn't tell you what to use in that regard, other than lead free .22lr alternatives being sold here tend to loose it around 25 yards down range.
    What lead free ammo is available to you

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    What lead free ammo is available to you
    CCI and Winchester versions are all I've been able to find locally. Deucedly expensive, too---about 5x the price of Mini-Mags.
    Last edited by Hovannes; 16-01-2018 at 13:20.

Lance Corporal

Are there any lead free 17 hmr bullets? i would think it would be cheaper to make those due to the lighter bullets????
    You dont realise how well off we are with some of our laws here until you hear about worse ones California seems almost worst than here for Firearms and Hunting laws
    Best of luck finding cheaper ways to hunt Hovannes

Staff Sergeant

The ammo licensing became law, but the State hasn't the technology to implement all of it --the only thing that's changed so far is you can't give ammo away or sell it, you have to buy it face to face from a licensed dealer, it has to be stored secure and out of reach of customers.

Hunting is a different matter---waterfowlers have long been required to shoot steel, but upland gunners are forced to retire their older, classic guns without chrome lined bores.
    Riflemen find they can really benefit from different twists to accommodate lighter and longer coppers and black powder hunters now have to shoot sabots with coppers and can also benefit from different rifling twists. Hunting with a .22 at any challenging distance is basically gone.
    This is in CA, and not the rest of the USA.
    Without the funds coming in from hunting licenses ( out of state hunters aren't permitted to bring ammunition with them, so there goes that income stream) the entire burden of managing wildlife will be shouldered by the taxpayers.

It pretty much takes the average guy out of the sport!

One paradox is that we Californians can still legally buy unregistered & unlicensed black powder muskets, rifles, shotguns and pistols through the mail---in fact I mail ordered a Pietta 1858 Remington .44 last month just because I could.