Thread: Gun licence query train cert

Default Gun licence query train cert

Lads just looking for some information after been down in the barracks looking about another shoot gun and a training certificate for my son who is 14 I have 1 shot gun and 2 rifles already I was told by the gard that I need a monitor alarm and bar im an instructor my son wont be get a training cert on my new gun is this right if not whats the best way to approach this thanks

Master Sergeant

1.Firstly was the Guard you where talking to the Firearms office, or just some guy behind a front desk, who was making it up as he went along.

2.Storage.
    Attention is drawn to Statutory Instrument No: 307 of 2009: Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Order, 2009, which defines the minimum security required for firearms. As is evident from this S.I. there is not an automatic requirement for a holder of one non restricted shotgun to provide a gun safe for their firearm, but a superintendent may attach that condition if of the view that, in the circumstances of an individual case, it is necessary in the interests of public safety and the peace. The S.I. stipulates:

(1) One non-restricted shotgun: The shotgun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

(2) One restricted firearm, or three or fewer non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

(3) Two restricted firearms, or, more than three non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

(4) Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place: In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. . The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority and supported with GSM mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Note what is listed is the minimum requirement, if the Super or Chief Super wants extra he can look for it. but I again stress that must come from him/her just not some Guard saying so.

3.Training cert, Ask for a copy of the qualifications to be a civilian firearms instructor in Ireland, Don't quote me on it but I don't think there are any.
    So if there are no laid down civilian instructor qualifications in Ireland no one is qualified.

I would ask for a meeting with the issuing office whether that be Super or Chief Super, and discuss it with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    1.Firstly was the Guard you where talking to the Firearms office, or just some guy behind a front desk, who was making it up as he went along.

2.Storage.
    Attention is drawn to Statutory Instrument No: 307 of 2009: Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Order, 2009, which defines the minimum security required for firearms. As is evident from this S.I. there is not an automatic requirement for a holder of one non restricted shotgun to provide a gun safe for their firearm, but a superintendent may attach that condition if of the view that, in the circumstances of an individual case, it is necessary in the interests of public safety and the peace. The S.I. stipulates:

(1) One non-restricted shotgun: The shotgun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

(2) One restricted firearm, or three or fewer non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

(3) Two restricted firearms, or, more than three non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

(4) Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place: In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána. . The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority and supported with GSM mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Note what is listed is the minimum requirement, if the Super or Chief Super wants extra he can look for it. but I again stress that must come from him/her just not some Guard saying so.

3.Training cert, Ask for a copy of the qualifications to be a civilian firearms instructor in Ireland, Don't quote me on it but I don't think there are any.
    So if there are no laid down civilian instructor qualifications in Ireland no one is qualified.

I would ask for a meeting with the issuing office whether that be Super or Chief Super, and discuss it with them.
    Thanks the gard is the firearms officer and he the acting sergeant in the barracks il make an appointment to see the super to day and keep yous posted thanks again for the help

Master Sergeant

FIREARMS TRAINING CERTIFICATE Section 2A of the Firearms Act 1925 as inserted by section 28 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 relates to firearms training certificates. Application for a firearms training certificate is also made on form FCAI and is 50% of the fee (€40) of an ordinary firearm certificate. The payment process is also outsourced to An Post.

1 The Commissioner (who has delegated his functions under this section to a member of the Garda Síochána of superintendent rank), on application and payment of the prescribed fee, may issue to a person over 14 years of age a firearms training certificate. This authorises the person to possess a firearm and ammunition (except a restricted firearm or restricted ammunition) only while:

(a) carrying and using the firearm for hunting or target shooting –

(i) under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate in respect of it, and

(ii) where the firearm is used for target shooting, on the premises of an authorised rifle or pistol club or at an authorised shooting range or other place that stands authorised under section 2(5) of this Act. 2 Where the applicant is under 16 years of age, the application for a firearms training certificate shall be accompanied by the written consent of the applicant’s parent or guardian.

3 Where such an application is refused, the superintendent shall inform the applicant in writing, and give the reasons for the refusal. 4 A firearms training certificate shall continue in force for a period of 3 years from the date in which it was granted, unless revoked. 5 The superintendent may revoke a firearms training certificate if of the opinion that the holder is not complying, or has not complied, with the conditions subject to which the certificate was granted.

6 The holder of a firearms training certificate who, without reasonable excuse, does not comply with the conditions subject to which the certificate was granted is guilty of an offence.

7 It is an offence for the holder of a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm to which the firearms training certificate relates, to permit, without reasonable excuse, the holder of that training certificate to carry or use the firearm while not under his or her supervision.

Have you read this from the Commissioners Guidelines the section I highlighted in bold is interesting, there is no requirement for you to be an Instructor , that's a makey up rule , if you are the licence holder of the firearm that is all that is required. Maybe the A/Sgt is rewriting the guidelines for the new incoming Commissioner ?

Lance Corporal

Its a bit of ah feck it i dunno what im at so ill make it up as i go along ****e as per usual call him out on it politely , anyone can get a training licence on one of your firearms

Lance Corporal

I got training certs for my two young lads when they became 14 on my shotguns....not a bother...ban garda was delighted that they were taking up the sport. She did make them do the NARGC safety course but after that no bother. One of the lads has his own licence since he was 16 ...no issues at all. We have a new super now so all could be changed again...tis an utter fkin joke

Quote Originally Posted by Cocker123 View Post
    I got training certs for my two young lads when they became 14 on my shotguns....not a bother...ban garda was delighted that they were taking up the sport. She did make them do the NARGC safety course but after that no bother. One of the lads has his own licence since he was 16 ...no issues at all. We have a new super now so all could be changed again...tis an utter fkin joke
    ,,still waiting on a appointment to see the super . Theson has all ready done his nargc saftey course and got two character references from outside the family so just have to see what are the supers taughts on the matter dont think make much difference with the local gard that I went to see first

Master Sergeant

It doesn't matter what the local Guard thinks , he is not the issuing office. Read up on the relevant section of the Commissioners Guidelines and know what is required and what is makey uppie , Actually I would have a copy of it with me, and I'd have wrote down what the local guard said and wants and show how none of it is a requirement for a cert.
    And remember smile and be polite , they hate that lol would rather see you loose your head and roaring.

Smile

Would this be relevant

https://ifhta.ie/
    Last edited by Lucas; Today at 14:13.