Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 or 22lr or 22 magnum

Default 17 or 22lr or 22 magnum

Going to get a new rimfire rifle next week.I shot all three calibers years ago but can't make my mind up now.It will be a cz 455 but what caliber I should go for has me head scratching,hunting and lots paper punching,keeping my eye in.Opinions appreciated please.
    ''Talent hits a target no one else can hit,Genius hits a target no one else can see'' Arthur Schopenhauer.

The objection to overkill is only a sentiment of the living.

Always look at what you have,instead of what you have lost.Because it's not what the world takes away from you that counts;it's what you do with what you have left.

Staff Sergeant

For lots of paper punching I would go for a 22lr. The ammo for the 17hmr and 22 mag will be a lot more expensive.
    If only hunting rabbits the 22lr with a mod and subsonic ammo is hard to beat.
    With the cz455 you could get a 2nd barrel in one of the other calibres if you wanted but it would mean another licence.

+1 to what zeissman said above

I'd go .22lr & .22wmr, if your going for 2 of them.

Would the laws that be look more favourable on a second barrel in another caliber rather than a second rifle.The 17 was 3rd in my mind,personally I like the 22s but like to hear what lads think.
    ''Talent hits a target no one else can hit,Genius hits a target no one else can see'' Arthur Schopenhauer.

Always look at what you have,instead of what you have lost.Because it's not what the world takes away from you that counts;it's what you do with what you have left.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwack View Post
    Would the laws that be look more favourable on a second barrel in another caliber rather than a second rifle.The 17 was 3rd in my mind,personally I like the 22s but like to hear what lads think.
    I think it would probably be easier to get a 2nd barrel than it would be to get another rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by zeissman View Post
    I think it would probably be easier to get a 2nd barrel than it would be to get another rifle.
    I'd +1 that too

I think it will probably be 22lr for the low cost ammo so I can put plenty down range when i am not hunting and have a bit of fun .

I think it will probably be 22lr for the low cost ammo so I can put plenty down range when i am not hunting and have a bit of fun .
    Every rifleman should have a .22lr

Unfortunately, no.

Its exactly the same as process / fee as licensing another rifle and the practicality of 'just being another barrel' doesn't hold any sway with the law.

Yeah, there is the odd station that you will get the second barrel easier but as a full license but more often than not, trying to license just a barrel is alien to them.

Believe me, I have been down this road and you are literally educating them on the rationale for multiple barrels.

However, there are a few lads I know who have had second barrels recorded on the one licence where there were both of the same bore diameter (1x22lr and 1x22 wmr) but again, no consistency and would definitely be requiring a chat with your FO before going down that route

For cheap shooting, you can't beat the 22 but with you having a couple of pcps as well, you might find that the 22lr is great for target but doesn't offer you the advantage for hunting that either a 22 wmr or hmr would over your pcp's

That said, that's just my own experience.
    Last edited by tikkat3; 03-03-2018 at 08:24.
    Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot.

For cheap shooting, you can't beat the 22 but with you having a couple of pcps as well, you might find that the 22lr is great for target but doesn't offer you the advantage for hunting that either a 22 wmr or hmr would over your pcp's

It will be a substitution for a pcp,which one I am not sure yet.I have a 223 for reaching out so I am leaning towards 22lr.I am thinking down the line of getting a fx royal .25 with power adjuster.I know I said I would never let another fx inside the gate but the royal would fill the airrifle gap with adjustable power.We will stick with the 22lr for now though