Thread: Which Moderator?

Default Which Moderator?

Hi All,

Sorry about this thread, I'm sure it's been done to death.
    I'm looking for a moderator for M14 X 1 223REM, as light as possible, short as possible with good sound suppression. I've been out of the loop for a while when it comes to mods and haven't been keeping track of the "newest thing" out there.
    I own a few, An SL7 in .30 and an ASE Jet-Z CQB in 223 and the usual suspects in 17HMR & .22RF . Both the CF mods are grand but with the wrong threads and are heavy. I'm trying to go as light as possible this time.
    Any suggestions based on actual use and ease of availability here within Ireland?

Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

Staff Sergeant

I'm using 2 dpt overbarrel mods at present. One on my 308 and one on my 204. They are compact and light and work very well.
    I got a dealer in N Ireland to get them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeissman View Post
    I'm using 2 dpt overbarrel mods at present. One on my 308 and one on my 204. They are compact and light and work very well.
    I got a dealer in N Ireland to get them for me.
    Hi Zeissman,
    Yea they seem light @ 260g compared to the wildcat evolution moderator I was looking at @ 440g. What sort of money re we talking?

Staff Sergeant

Around 250 sterling. My mate has the wildcat evo. They both sound about the same but the dpt is shorter slimmer and lighter.

Chief Warrant Officer 3

I have 2 Hausken JD224 Moderators and a Wildcat Evolution. As above on the 6.5 both the Wildcat and the Hausken sound about the same but the Hausken is lighter but on the .223 the Hausken is a lot quieter than the Wildcat why I don't know but it is. I really like the Hausken especially on the .223.

The Hausken JD224 is 315 from John Lambert in Camolin Wexford.
    The Wildcat Evolution is 275 I think from Doms custom rifles in Kiltealy Wexford.
    Last edited by alan81; 16-04-2018 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by alan81 View Post
    I have 2 Hausken JD224 Moderators and a Wildcat Evolution. As above on the 6.5 both the Wildcat and the Hausken sound about the same but the Hausken is lighter but on the .223 the Hausken is a lot quieter than the Wildcat why I don't know but it is. I really like the Hausken especially on the .223.

The Hausken JD224 is €315 from John Lambert in Camolin Wexford.
    The Wildcat Evolution is €275 I think from Doms custom rifles in Kiltealy Wexford.
    Was looking at the Hausken JD224 too, great reviews.
    I'm currently looking for pricing with southern dealers on the over barrel DPT purely for weight reasons, 260g is hard to beat. I've a terribly habit of making heavy guns, but not this time. It's diet everything for this Tikka!

Chief Warrant Officer 3

Well the DPT is without a doubt the lightest and sound wise it's reported to be the same as the Hausken and Wildcat.

Staff Sergeant

My mate just bought a tikka t3x lite stainless in 6.5x55 and put a dpt on it.
    It's a lovely light package for stalking and very accurate as well.

It's tough trying to get prices...everything is I'll call you back here in Ireland. Still haven't got a firm price yet for an over barrel DPT in the south. NI no problem in stock but wants import/export paperwork, I have the S no problem but I really couldn't be ar*sed just for a mod. Going to look at the Hausken JD224 while I'm on my travels too.
    Anyway extended titanium picatinny rail purchased, I use ARMS QD mounts from time to time and they chew up the anodised aluminium rails. The titanium rail is 45% lighter than steel apparently.
    Was looking at one of those fancy pants neopods and other ultralight bipods...wow their expensive stuff. Even the spartan which is a real basic one is roasty. Come on China its only PEEK make a good quality copy to rival neopod for 50 dollar free shipping !