Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 243 or 270

338 with headshots all the way is there much difference in ammo cost in 243 and 270?

Quote Originally Posted by stick shooter View Post
    But with deer stalking the use of a range finder is not always an option plus the fact that not every one has one makes the flatter shooter the round of choice .
    In deer stalking a rangefinder isnt required, as 99 per cent will stay within 200 yards, which should be the zero of their rifle..the advent of the portable rangefinder means that today shooters dont need to be hindered by the need to have a flat shooting rifle because they depend on that to take their quarry, they are now free to take advantage of the larger heavier bullets with much higher ballistic co efficients, simply because they now know the range of their quarry which was an unknown in days gone by, where they had to rely on flat shooting rounds to make up for that unknown quantity..ie:distance.

Any lad stepping out today with a 243 for example would be much more efficient over longer range when varminting using an 87 grain v max and dialling in wind and elevation after distance finding with a rangefinder,, than his counterpart with the same calibre 25 years ago who could only have a wild assed guess at how far that varmint was.. now that the rangefinder is cheap enough for the masses, the need for flat shooting rounds has gone by the way of the black and white telly, except for one scenario and thats night
    shooting..

this getting interesting!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter243 View Post
    In deer stalking a rangefinder isnt required, as 99 per cent will stay within 200 yards, which should be the zero of their rifle..the advent of the portable rangefinder means that today shooters dont need to be hindered by the need to have a flat shooting rifle because they depend on that to take their quarry, they are now free to take advantage of the larger heavier bullets with much higher ballistic co efficients, simply because they now know the range of their quarry which was an unknown in days gone by, where they had to rely on flat shooting rounds to make up for that unknown quantity..ie:distance.

Any lad stepping out today with a 243 for example would be much more efficient over longer range when varminting using an 87 grain v max and dialling in wind and elevation after distance finding with a rangefinder,, than his counterpart with the same calibre 25 years ago who could only have a wild assed guess at how far that varmint was.. now that the rangefinder is cheap enough for the masses, the need for flat shooting rounds has gone by the way of the black and white telly, except for one scenario and thats night
    shooting..
    Interesting theory But i guess only a theory . There is a lot more to a good stalking round other than high bc . You make it sound that before the range finder was introduced people could not bake accurate shots beyond 200 yards Were we not talking about deer stalking not varmint shooting .And also range finders work quiet well at night.

Interesting theory But i guess only a theory . There is a lot more to a good stalking round other than high bc . You make it sound that before the range finder was introduced people could not bake accurate shots beyond 200 yards Were we not talking about deer stalking not varmint shooting .And also range finders work quiet well at night.
    Not theory simply fact, the efficiency rate of longer range shooters has gone up because nowadays we dont try to guesstimate distance, we can get really accurate distances from our rangefinders, that then allows us to employ better bullets for the job, if you are trying to put forward a theory that accurate rangefinding ability hasnt helped shooting then im lost rangefinding through the use of accurate and affordable rangefinders has been a quantum leap this last couple of decades.

As for rangefinders at night I know they work well, but when on a fox at night the flat shooter does have an advantage, as time on a lit up quarry is not always plentiful.

Banned

Not theory simply fact, the efficiency rate of longer range shooters has gone up because nowadays we dont try to guesstimate distance, we can get really accurate distances from our rangefinders, that then allows us to employ better bullets for the job, if you are trying to put forward a theory that accurate rangefinding ability hasnt helped shooting then im lost rangefinding through the use of accurate and affordable rangefinders has been a quantum leap this last couple of decades.

As for rangefinders at night I know they work well, but when on a fox at night the flat shooter does have an advantage, as time on a lit up quarry is not always plentiful.
    quiet simple i have a range finder but at least 7 out of 10 times i dont have time to range the deer i have to rely on known my distance roughly and using as flat a shooting round as possible take the shot . Why do you use lighter rounds for varmint shooting Does the lighter rounds have better bc.

quiet simple i have a range finder but at least 7 out of 10 times i dont have time to range the deer i have to rely on known my distance roughly and using as flat a shooting round as possible take the shot . Why do you use lighter rounds for varmint shooting Does the lighter rounds have better bc.
    No I use the lighter rounds simply because they are used for fox at night..where the use of a flat shooter works well, because time is of the essence..during daytime where I would use a rangefinder, Ill employ heavier more efficient ammo with higher BCs, because knowing the distance, they are much better at getting there

Banned

No I use the lighter rounds simply because they are used for fox at night..where the use of a flat shooter works well, because time is of the essence..during daytime where I would use a rangefinder, Ill employ heavier more efficient ammo with higher BCs, because knowing the distance, they are much better at getting there
    And are the deer you shoot tethered .What was done before range finders and not just in ireland . Is it your opinion that the best stalking round is the one with the highest BC.??

And are the deer you shoot tethered .What was done before range finders and not just in ireland . Is it your opinion that the best stalking round is the one with the highest BC.??
    I dont think you are following my train of thought, ive already explained to you that that the use of flat shooting rounds was a given in the days before rangefinders were used by all and sundry, now that most shooters that I know have a rangefinder..we can use the better and more efficient bullets in any calibre for the job because we arent tied to not knowing distance..

Banned

I dont think you are following my train of thought, ive already explained to you that that the use of flat shooting rounds was a given in the days before rangefinders were used by all and sundry, now that most shooters that I know have a rangefinder..we can use the better and more efficient bullets in any calibre for the job because we arent tied to not knowing distance..
    So i guess your advice is buy a 243 and a range finder.The point i am making is the 270 brings so much to the table that many other calibers dont ie. velocity, sectional density , weight retention , non over penetration , hydraulic shock to name a few and we could keep going . The object of this thread was to find which was the best caliber between 243 and 270 and you reckon the range finder is the best I guess the moral is if you want to look at deer buy a range finder but if you want to stalk them buy a 270