Thread: Irish Firearms

Lance Corporal

Default Irish Firearms

As part of my journey in firearms knowledge I Would like to know what firearms are produced in your wonderful country.
    Til' The Battle Is Won
    Go Cats

None anymore unfortunately. There used to be quite a few
    slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    Genesis 27:3
    3Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Hmmmm,well back in the days of yore [17 th to early 20th century]we had aquite a firearms industry here in Ireland.. One of the most famous bespoke English gunmakers John Rigby and Sons started out in Dublin,as did William Greener,and a few others as well.

Thats not to forget that pretty much every major city in Ireland had it's resident gunmakers,many of which have been lost to time. That alone is a worthy and lengthy book/doctorate for anyone intrested in that..

As part of the English empire,it was hardly surprising that we had plenty of bespoke English guns here..However due to many dumbass political movements,political decisions,riots,rebellions,wars and general ill will over the course of Irish history firearms manufacture has been somwhat restricted if not down right frowned upon by the powers that be.

The last modern firearms made here were in the 1960s to about early 1970s ,and were called "The Fenian" it was an O/U shotgun in 12 ga of a rather unique opening system,somthing onto the French" Darne "shotgun.They were made in Birr,Co Offaly by P V Kavanagh.

Most of them were exported to the US,Canada,and the UK.
    But they werent a great seller,and had problems with their steel guide rods in the action.However,they have a collectors value now as they are uniquely Irish.

Those ,apart from some ingenious SMGs,based mostly on either the Sten or Sterling made by either sections of the warring Northern Ireland community in the 1960s to 1990s.Known as either "Ulster funny guns",or "Harland &Wolff Specials"[From the famous Belfast shipyard,where some "after hours work" was conducted by boith sides],and the odd traditional "zip gun"
    Are pretty much it for Irish gunmaking.

By and large most gunmakers bought in English guns and actions,etc and just stamped with their names and assembled them for their customers.Hardly surprising as the massive then English armaments industries of Birmingham,London etc could churn out stuff like that for ten a penny and export it to its Empire.

What we generally have here is more famous personalities associated with certain guns during our history,or certain firearms having an asociation with Irish history.IE Eamon Develara one of our prime ministers is associated with using a Mauser C96 broomhandle pistol in the war of independance and civil war.
    Daniel O Connell ,a great liberator of the Catholics and famous duellist is asscoiated with John Nock[Another Irish gunsmith] duelling pistols.

So maybe I've missed some other Irish made design,but by and large I cant think of one orginal uniquely Irish designed gun.
    Guns are in themselves inherently stable objects.Their cheif enemies are rust and politicans.

Corporal

Nice read there grizzly!
    Gone Huntin..........

you're well up on it Grizz

Nice bit of history there grizzly, i must say i didnt know any of that

Thanks guys!!..
    BTW there is a guy on the other board,who is now an Irish EX pat living in sunny CA,who specifically collects Irish guns,or guns associated with Ireland,and a very fine collection he has too,couple of Rigby shotguns and revolvers,an ex RIC 1897 Winchester pump shotgun, an Irish contract Lee Enfield[I think]whenever he gets somthing new he usually has it on youtube.
    Think he is going to try and get it registerd as a historically significant collection in CA.
    Nice to see there is somone out there saving historically significant guns from Ireland.
    We sure as Hell cant with our laws!!
    Guns are in themselves inherently stable objects.Their cheif enemies are rust and politicans.