Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: German Shorthaired pointer vs English Springer Spaniel

Staff Sergeant

well yea most of the land qould be rushy or rough as for ducks only a tough its mostly phesents at moment i shoot..
    still note sure on dog breed though.

Sergeant

If hunting lots of cover i wouldnt advise i poibtrr cause how do you no where its pointing when it in cover eg whin bushes etc. i think a fadt springer is hard 2 beat which provides fast action its also easier to train not as hesd strong and gets on better with other dogs

I'd go for a HPR breed as Doyle said you've a better chance of getting a shot off when you're on your own.

99% of Springers are loopers anyway

Master Sergeant oneshotbangbang's Avatar

compromise 85 levin has setter x springer pups on the way best off both worlds

Staff Sergeant

i heard from a guy in the gun club that setter X springer pups cant do either?

Master Sergeant oneshotbangbang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livestrong View Post
    i heard from a guy in the gun club that setter X springer pups cant do either?
    if theres hunting in the parent dogs they will hunt, most bad gun dogs are bad because of the owner and the amount off time put in to them when there young ,i gave away a litter of lab x setters pups last xmass three went to shooting men in the area and there delighted with them so far this season ,one came back and said its the best gundog he ever had dont know what his comparing it to but there happy with them

laois man but living in offaly for my sins

I'm sorry but he's talking through his hole. I personally know a lad who swears that a jack rustle is the best dog he's hunted over. I've heard of lads who've used sheep dogs to great success. My weimaraner bitch has NEVER pointed BUT there's very little she's ever left behind (she flushes). The dog either has it or doesnt irrespective of breed. I've actually given a lad on this forum a cocker x weimaraner pup before (bad experience don't ask about the litter)and she showed all the promise of being a great dog. As I said already go out with lads who have different breeds and see what you like
    train hard, fight easy

Staff Sergeant

well possibly that might be my prob cos i have never had any experience with gun dogs, good or bad, like i said completely green..

if i was you id go with the springer as you say you have little experience with gundogs and the area you will be shooting is rough i think the springer would be best for the ground and will be easy for you to train thats what i do or maybe it wouldnt do any harm to get few books on diff dogs and see what ya like .

Staff Sergeant

but are the springer tougher to train than the gsp?