Blog Entries

Default Remington 700 LA bedding boyds stock

Bedding your gun what you will need
    1. Tape insolating or masking
    2. kitchen role and cotton buds
    3. Bedding material and something to mix it in
    4. Shoe polish clear wax
    5. Playdoh or clay or morla
    6. two bolts with threads matching your takedown screws but long enough to drop trough the stock
    7. WD40

first thing i did was striped the action removed the bolt stop and trigger. depending on the gun you don't always have to strip everything.

Spray the insides of your action with oil just in case some of the bedding gets in, fill all the gaps with your Playdoh and smooth it off, any metal surface that will contact the bedding give it a coat of the shoe polish kiwi works great. Give the recoil lug a good coating make sure you have it everywhere that will touch the bedding.

Fail the mag well an the trigger well with tissue and then playdoh. The playdoh will stick to itself when the action is droped in and stop the bedding seeping across the gaps making the cleanup easer.

drill a few holes around the areas where you want the bedding to hold best and in the recess for the recoil lug and radius the sharp angles at the top of the recoil lug hole. Rough up the area and degrease it. chose how far past the lug you want your bedding to go and make a stop with the playdoh. test fit your action push it down until the playdoh stop is squeezed into the barrel shape. at this point wrap a bit of tape around the barrel just where it leaves the stock. to make sure its centred and floating

tape up the long bolts leaving 5 or so mill to screw into the action. also cut of any bolt heads if there are any, the tape is there to locate the action and to make sure you are not twisting the action in the stock, so tape them up just enough that they just fit in the stock and give the taped bolts a good covering of wax.(i did not do this part i wish i did)i screwd take down bolts back in covered in wax

mix up your bedding compound and slowly and carefully work it into the holes you made, use a match or something keep taping it and moving it until all the air pockets are gone very important in the lug hole. there's no harm in using more than you think you need it will just seep out anyways.

Once your happy with how it looks drop in the barrelled action it will slide into place with the taped waxed bolts. the bedding will start oozing out along the side and where the bolts push it out. Qtips/cotton buds and WD40 are your best friend . the taped part of the barrel should be sitting in the fore end of the stock and the rear of your action should also be where it is almost making contact with the stock with just a little gap with the bedding filling the space.

Some people like to screw the action in tight i have seen people use Gclamps to clamp the action in, I don't like to do this as it causes tension. the last thing you want is when you remove the bolts or the clamps is the action to flex and not contact the bedding perfectly. i am not expert by any means but it seems common sense.
    Wrap some tape around the action and the stock to hold it in place, it continues to settle for 30 minutes or so, Grab a beer and some cotton buds

After a sleepless night dreaming that you will never remove your action from your stock remove the tape use a vice grip to scruw out the long bolts, slowly but with force grab the barrel and push away from the stock, depending on the gun some are harder to remove the Remington straight lug is harder to remove than a Howa's 45 degree lug you may have to lift the back and the barrel at he same time, they will come apart if you used your wax on every bit of metal.

Pick out all the Playdoh and use a Dremel with a shaping stone or a sanding drum to remove the overlapped bedding from the trigger well and the mag well use a mask.

Clean all the wax from your action and barrel make sure there is no compound in the action, breach or barrel.

If all went well your action will be solid, straight and your barrel will float

Thanks for reading
    i know .243ackley posted a gide for prity much the same thing i do a few things differently nothing taken away from his awesome post
    the gun is a Remington 700 sps.300 winchester magnum, my wife got me a new stock for christmas from Boyds its the Varment thumbhole La bdl.
    i did this because when i fitted the stock the barrel was to tight to float so i sanded the sides but then the stock was very Loose
    So i took pictures, Hope you like it
    Last edited by Ziggie; 08-01-2013 at 23:23.

Great post

Thinking of getting a Boyds for my .204 and doing a bedding job on it too.

What did you use for the bedding compound.

If I do it I'll pillar bed it too with these

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=...+bedding&rt=nc

Blog Entries

i use JB weld. you can get it almost any hardware shop http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

i am thinking about putting pillars in the stock, just from bedding it its a lot easier to shoot and better groups. hopefully I'll get some pics soon
    i love the stock it's a world better than the plastic sps stock there is no comparison
    Last edited by Ziggie; 09-01-2013 at 00:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggieire View Post
    i use JB weld. you can get it almost any hardware shop http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ziggieire View Post
    i am thinking about putting pillars in the stock, just from bedding it its a lot easier to shoot and better groups. hopefully I'll get some pics soon
    i love the stock it's a world better than the plastic sps stock there is no comparison
    I reckon the pillar bedding would make it better again. Had one of their stocks before in an ADL set up and sold it as I now have a floorplate (courtesy of a 'freebie' from John Greene in SRO ) so I may get another stock and do the pillar & bedding job on it. They are a lovely stock for what they cost

Well ware lad

laois man but living in offaly for my sins

Great post OP. Think the thread will really benefit lads esp with the attached photos. Rep point lad
    train hard, fight easy

Great post, you did a good job there by the looks of it well done
    "Cold nights and warm barrels"

Thank you and well done for a great post.

Whats the advantages of doing the job of beding on a stock?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    Whats the advantages of doing the job of beding on a stock?
    http://www.irishshooter.com/showthread.php?t=7853