Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit height

Banned

Default Rabbit height

I'm looking for the average height of a rabbit grazing/sitting.
    The only dimensions I've been able to find on line is length, or area required for housing.
    All going well with my current application I hope to use mil dot for judging distance in the field, I couldn't judge distance if my life depended on it so I'm planning on staking out measured distances at a given height and make myself up a chart I can learn over time.
    The scope I'm hoping to get is a 3-9 X 50 Hawke Sport h/d, I've downloaded Hawkes ballistic software package it seems like it might be useful but it's only as good as the information you put into it "target size"

Chief Warrant Officer 4 tikkat3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
    I'm looking for the average height of a rabbit grazing/sitting.
    The only dimensions I've been able to find on line is length, or area required for housing.
    All going well with my current application I hope to use mil dot for judging distance in the field, I couldn't judge distance if my life depended on it so I'm planning on staking out measured distances at a given height and make myself up a chart I can learn over time.
    The scope I'm hoping to get is a 3-9 X 50 Hawke Sport h/d, I've downloaded Hawkes ballistic software package it seems like it might be useful but it's only as good as the information you put into it "target size"
    I think you will have to work it out with your scope lad.

The mildot and mag ranges will change compared to the quarry size.

Head size for a bunny is generally they are eye to eye with my cross hairs

Have fun hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tikkat3 View Post
    The mildot and mag ranges will change compared to the quarry size.
    I figured that, but there must be an average height/size as there is with most things. If I'm taking the wrong approach I'm open to suggestions.

well as a rabbits head is around 3-4 inches youd want them size groups .id suggest setting up a target at 25,50 and 75 yards and do and practice that way.the last thing you wan is a miss placed shot and a rabbit running dwn a hole or in to a ditch injured.always go for head shots.if your hitting them just behind the eye you wont go wrong.

I think what the OP is asking is how big is a rabbit from head to foot, so that using mil dot range estimation formula he can dial in the right correction for drop at that distance. I was going to ask the same question, so I'll be interested in the answer.

I would have thought on average about 12" nose to tail in a squatting position.
    Lanber Mod. 2082 O/U 12g with 28" Barrels
    Mossberg Maverick 88 Pump Action with 28" Barrel
    Krico 260 .22LR Semi-Auto & Single Shot, 3-12x40 and 6-9" Harris Bipod

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgocuilleain View Post
    I think what the OP is asking is how big is a rabbit from head to foot, so that using mil dot range estimation formula he can dial in the right correction for drop at that distance. I was going to ask the same question, so I'll be interested in the answer.
    Spot on, your post deciphering badge is in the post

Yes the measurement I'm looking for is from the ground to the top of a rabbits head, I know the rabbits head may be the most visible at times but I'll need to estimate an overall height to use mil dot range estimation, I think

how long is apiece of string ??
    it will depend on what it's eating or what it's doing !
    you need to work on a given ie the size of the head and then work from there if you want to practise at various ranges get some old golfballs and throw them out randomly and use those to do some calculations they are about the same size as an adult rabbits head
    if you have no respect for wildlife !!,you have no place out in the field

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    how long is apiece of string ??
    it will depend on what it's eating or what it's doing !
    you need to work on a given ie the size of the head and then work from there if you want to practise at various ranges get some old golfballs and throw them out randomly and use those to do some calculations they are about the same size as an adult rabbits head
    I understand what your saying but to use the mil dot system for the purpose of range finding you have to be able to determine the height of your target, once I can judge the distance then I can practice shooting rabbits with miniature heads the size of golf balls

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide

Quote Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
    I understand what your saying but to use the mil dot system for the purpose of range finding you have to be able to determine the height of your target, once I can judge the distance then I can practice shooting rabbits with miniature heads the size of golf balls

http://www.mil-dot.com/user-guide
    an avarge size adult rabbit is about 18 inches long
    sitting up there about 9 inches high.
    with there head dwn feedin there about 4- 5 inchs high
    that help?