Thread: Silver tea spoons and shooting??

Default Silver tea spoons and shooting??

Anyone able to shed some light on this one for me?
    I was reading a novel recently[Holding the Zero by Gerard Seymour] and in it the main chacter is a vintage rifle target shooter who has a fine collection of silver tea spoons as trophies for target match prizes in the UK.
    I have never heard of this one...Is it something makey up or an actual tradition or prize?
    If true,anyone explain the tradition behind it for me?
    Guns are in themselves inherently stable objects.Their cheif enemies are rust and politicans.

Its a good read.I looked into that myself when I read the book years ago and seemingly silver teaspoons with club crests used to be a prize awarded to top shooter on a particular day,It was a tradition in some matchs in America too.
    If you do a search you can find them for sale

Theres loads of them for sale on e bay and they come up in antique auctions from time to time..dont know why spoons though

Maybe thats where
    the 'wooden spoon' came from

Grizzly [Holding the Zero by Gerard Seymour] a very interesting book, it held my attention from front to back.

Re the spoon pictured by (hiddenmongoose) a lovely job, a nice idea as a prize for shooting competitions. Any idea of cost or could one get them made here.

Sikamick

Hmmm ,well poking around flea bay,they seem to be historic trophies for sale.But no one I can find has them un engraved or with fancy motif handles.
    Couldnt be that expensive to get some Newbridge cutlery silver tae spoons and get them engraved to start off??
    Would be indeed a nice prize and tradition and for once, a somewhat practical trophy.At least you could stir the tae or coffee with it.
    Guns are in themselves inherently stable objects.Their cheif enemies are rust and politicans.

as far as i can make out, spoons were a popular type of gift of significance at the turn of the century, particularly in colonies british/dutch. They were given when children were born etc and certain makes of spoons were more sought after than others. I think its maybe a case of coincidence at that time that they found their way as shooting prizes

http://www.leopardantiques.com/object/stock/detail/584

heres an example of a collectors item
    if we outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns

'wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep' Anon

Wonder does that have to do with the expression "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth."?

On a useless point of info.
    "Blue blood" is actually a true statement of the colour of nobility or royal blood.It has apperntly got a very distinct tinge of blue in it!! It comes from using genuine silverware all the time while eating.Silver is somewhat mallable ,and it scrapes off while you are eating in microns,and proably in the olden days without hardening the metal occured more.
    Totally harmless to you as well,and some say benefical as it works like an antiseptic or a "colloid" for collecting impurties out of your blood stream.

So maybe thats where this came from?