Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: .243 twist and barrel length !

  1. #1

    Default .243 twist and barrel length !

    Looking for advice on barrel length and twist rate choice . . .
    I'm putting together a bit of an allrounder rifle. . .
    It's going to be a .243 that I will use for foxes with 55/60 grain for foxes and 95/105 for the odd deer . . .
    I'll prob use it for pissing about at the range out to 300 meters possibly a little further . . .
    I'm looking for optimum twist rate to handle the widest range of bullets. . .
    Also I want it as short as possible for getting in and out of the van. . . .
    I have to surrender my 223 for the custom build so I want to build some thing that will do more than just shoot foxes so an all rounder makes more sense . .
    I have a 6.5x55 for my main deer stalking but the rifle and scope isn't ideal for long range..
    Also I'm looking for the most effective/lightest over barrel moderator for this calibre , I currently have a atec maxim on the 6.5 and a reflex t4 on the 223 and I'm happy with both for those specific calibres but I'm open to suggestion for the .243 . .

    Any advise or help would be appreciated ..

  2. #2
    Chief Warrant Officer 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wesht of Irl
    Posts
    1,220
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I think 1:10 be perfect, 95% of them come in that twist as most grains work best with that twist in 243 cal. Don't bother going any heavier than 95 grain in 243. 21.5 inch is good I find.

  3. #3
    First Lieutenant DeiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,578
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy lawd View Post
    I think 1:10 be perfect, 95% of them come in that twist as most grains work best with that twist in 243 cal. Don't bother going any heavier than 95 grain in 243. 21.5 inch is good I find.
    eh why? 100gr fires perfectly accurately out of a 1:10 twist .243
    Marlin 917vs .17hmr.. SRO custom aluminium moderator.. 9-13 bi-pod.. 4-16x50 Nikko Stirling Nighteater 30mm..fox cheek riser.. Federal 17gr v-max..

    12g Baikal O/U

  4. #4
    Capo foxshooter243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    kingdom of Dalriada
    Posts
    9,376
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeiseBoy View Post
    eh why? 100gr fires perfectly accurately out of a 1:10 twist .243
    sure do, 100 grain hornady interlocks are real tight in my 10 twist, as to the OP, for the ammo you want to shoot you need a an eight twist to cover the 105 grain bullets..youll cover everything up to 100 grain with a nine twist..the ten twist will cover nearly everything except for 95 grain target ammo..for targets out to 300 or so..barrel length wont matter..

  5. #5
    Chief Warrant Officer 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wesht of Irl
    Posts
    1,220
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeiseBoy View Post
    eh why? 100gr fires perfectly accurately out of a 1:10 twist .243
    I find there's too much bullet drop with them and loads like 80 grain GMX and 95 SST are much flatter and have higher energy vs 100 grain loads. When you get into soft points I personally don't find them accurate vs polymer tipped rounds. I guess every shooter has different taste and opinions and different ammunition and rifles perform differently.

  6. #6
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter243 View Post
    you need a an eight twist to cover the 105 grain bullets..youll cover everything up to 100 grain with a nine twist..the ten twist will cover nearly everything except for 95 grain target ammo..for targets out to 300 or so..barrel length wont matter..
    I seen a guy on youtube shooting the .243 out to over 1000 yards accurately with 105 gr A-Max out of a 1:9 barrel.

  7. #7
    Capo foxshooter243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    kingdom of Dalriada
    Posts
    9,376
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I seen a guy on youtube shooting the .243 out to over 1000 yards accurately with 105 gr A-Max out of a 1:9 barrel.
    Maybe so, but some folks have found that they wouldnt stabilise in their nine twists whilst others report they do..so if the nine is marginal which is what shooters are reporting then I would opt for an eight..

  8. #8
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter243 View Post
    Maybe so, but some folks have found that they wouldnt stabilise in their nine twists whilst others report they do..so if the nine is marginal which is what shooters are reporting then I would opt for an eight..
    No doubt you are right. But what would the barrel life be on a .243 with a 1:8 barrel? Would it be much less than a 1:10?

  9. #9
    Capo foxshooter243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    kingdom of Dalriada
    Posts
    9,376
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    No doubt you are right. But what would the barrel life be on a .243 with a 1:8 barrel? Would it be much less than a 1:10?
    Any research ive done that looked at the difference in barrel life between two twists that are as close as the above always suggest that its not worth worrying about..its generally reckoned to be very little..

  10. #10
    Capo foxshooter243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    kingdom of Dalriada
    Posts
    9,376
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter243 View Post
    Any research ive done that looked at the difference in barrel life between two twists that are as close as the above always suggest that its not worth worrying about..its generally reckoned to be very little..
    Edited to add..just for the craic I ran the numbers through the miller stability calculator on these..with a muzzle velocity of 2900 ft/sec im getting a stabilty factor of 1.189 with a nine twist..which is too low as between 1.3-2.0 is the desired range to be comfortable..the millitary uses 1.5 as their guide.

    Running the numbers with an eight twist leaves you just under 1.5 which is ideal..but youll scrape in just over 1.3 with an 8.5 twist. Now the purists will tell you that you should use the slowest twist that stabilises the bullet..so 8.5 looks to be about optimum..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •